Friday, January 17, 2014

Engine troubles

I've spent some time trying to make the dynamic lighting work in UDK. Well, it does work, but the quality makes me want to tear my eyes out. I tweaked the various settings of the lights and objects in editor, I tried disabling end enabling features in the .ini file, but all this resulted in choppy, pixelated shadow.
Tired of all this, I exported my pieces into CryEngine. Interestingly enough, I ran into a lot of the same issues with the shadows there - some of them are simply incorrect, some are choppy, and the draw distance quality decrease is very obvious.. But still, everything looks much, much better - modules stick together seamlessly, and there is no chopping of the shadows. And I did not ven tweak the quality yet.

I'm losing the amazing material editor, but lighting is quite important after all. I'm also not that familiar with the editor, so I'll have to catch up. Luckily, I'm not going to have to use the terrain features, as most of my work will consist of importing models in and sticking them together.

← Previous post Next Post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.